Due to the belief that Benson & Bingham is being penalized by Google due to EDU links to our website, we have had to unfortunately end our scholarship offer. We apologize for any inconvenience.
In 2017, Benson & Bingham decided to give back to the community with the inception of its first annual Law Scholarship. Benson & Bingham understand the rigors of law school accompanied with the expense to become an attorney, and felt obliged to help alleviate the financial strain with their annual scholarship offer. The firm is pleased to announce that we ended up awarding not just a grand prize of $2,000, but two additional $250 runner-up awards due to the quality of the essays we received.
For 2018, we elected to keep the same eligibility requirements, however we've elected to continue to award two additional runner up awards. In addition, the essay questions have been changed to provide a fresh set of circumstances with which to judge scholarship applicants.
In order to be eligible for the scholarship award, applicants must adhere to the following scholarship criteria:
- Currently enrolled in or recently accepted to an accredited law school.
- A United States citizen or permanent resident.
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher. A copy of your college transcript (unofficial) must accompany the application.
- Proof of Law School acceptance or attendance must accompany the application.
- Applications must be received electronically by August 31, 2018 to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, please reference: Benson & Bingham Annual Scholarship Application.
- Questions regarding the application or process may be submitted to the above email address. Please, No Phone Calls.
One grand prize winner will receive a one-time payment of $2,000 to be applied to the law school of their admission/attendance. Additionally, two $250 payments will be awarded to two runner up applicants. Essays may be published by Benson & Bingham, so please refrain from submitting anything personal, vulgar or inappropriate for the web. The winner of the award will be announced by October 31st, 2018.
Entrants for our scholarship must submit a minimum of a 600-word typed essay on one of the below topics to be judged by partners Joe Benson and Ben Bingham at the conclusion of the deadline:
- Premises Security: Given the Mandalay Bay Shooting, what steps should hotels take to insure the safety and security of their guests?
- Consumer Product Safety: When are the affixed warnings regarding the potential risk of injury obvious enough to warrant not having them? [A product is defective for its failure to be accompanied by suitable and adequate warnings concerning its safe and proper use, if the absence of such warnings renders the product unreasonably dangerous. To be adequate a warning must be: (1) designed to reasonably catch the consumer's attention, (2) that the language be comprehensible and give a fair indication of the specific risks attendant to use of the product, and (3) that warnings be of sufficient intensity justified by the magnitude of the risk.]
Judging the essay’s value will be contingent on the below qualities:
- Originality of thought or provocativeness of article.
- Attention to current law as well as statistical knowledge of the area of investigation.
- Submissions must be 100% original and never published or disseminated at a previous time.
- Candidates may site case law or historical record with appropriate citations to the source.
Benson & Bingham welcome any and all potential candidates who meet the above criteria and complete the application by August 31st, 2018. Good luck to all the applicants of our first annual scholarship. The winning entry's submission as well as a press release will accompany the award when the winner is announced on November 30th, 2018.
2018 Scholarship Winners
- 2018 Grand Prize Winner of $2,000: Yvette Chow, UC Hastings College of the Law
- 2018 Runner-up Prize Winner of $250: Gabriel Boliou, William S. Boyd School of Law at UNLV
- 2018 Runner-up Prize Winner of $250: Maria Spiridonova , University of Denver Sturm College of Law
2017: Benson & Bingham First Annual Scholarship
- 2017 Grand Prize Winner of $2,000: Felipe Hernandez, Harvard Law School
- 2017 Runner-up Prize Winner of $250: Drekevius Huff, Savannah Law School
- 2017 Runner-up Prize Winner of $250: Olivia Campbell, William S. Boyd School of Law at UNLV