Handling An Accident With An Uninsured Driver In Nevada
After a traffic accident, most drivers assume that the person at fault carries insurance that will cover medical bills, damages, and losses after an injury. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. Sometimes other drivers don’t carry the insurance you need, which means added stress during an already difficult time. If you’ve been injured after an accident with an uninsured driver, you need to consult with a Nevada car accident lawyer who can help you understand your options.
Uninsured Motorist Coverage
Uninsured motorist coverage is a type of insurance available through your own auto policy that you can take advantage of when an at-fault driver does not carry insurance to cover your damages. Uninsured motorist coverage can usually be used to pay for your medical expenses, damage to your vehicle and other property, lost income as a result of the accident, and other expenses you may be facing.
Uninsured motorist coverage differs from your own liability insurance coverage because it covers your injuries and expenses when an uninsured driver is at fault in a vehicle accident. In contrast, your liability insurance coverage will pay for the injuries and expenses of other injured drivers if you are at fault in an accident.
Underinsured Motorist Coverage
Similar to uninsured motorist coverage, underinsured motorist coverage is used when the driver at fault has some insurance, but lacks sufficient coverage to compensate you as the injured party for all of your damages from the collision. Underinsured drivers are surprisingly common because most drivers will carry only the minimum amount of insurance that is required by the state laws. Unfortunately, expenses and damages that result from serious car accidents can be far greater than what a minimum insurance policy will cover.
If you carry underinsured motorist coverage in your policy, you can feel more confident about the future because the policy can make up the difference between what an at-fault driver’s insurance will pay and the amount you may actually need if you’ve been seriously injured.
If you’ve been in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver, your Reno truck accident lawyer can help you recover compensation to cover all of your damages.
Does Nevada Require Uninsured Motorist Coverage?
The state of Nevada does not require drivers to carry uninsured motorist coverage. Although it is usually available as an option, state laws do not require drivers to carry it. Talk to your insurance agent about what options are available in your policy so you can be protected in case of an accident.
Pursuing Compensation After a Car Accident In Nevada
After a car accident, you may be facing many medical bills and property damage along with uncertainty about the future. Unfortunately, it may be difficult to recover compensation if the at-fault driver is underinsured. Carrying uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage may provide compensation for these losses along with damage to your future earning potential, pain and suffering, and other damages.
What Should I Do After An Accident with An Uninsured Driver?
The days and weeks after a car crash are often filled with pain, exhaustion, and stress. Follow these tips to help build your case with your Henderson personal injury lawyer:
- Get the name and contact information of the at-fault driver, even if they do not have insurance.
- Contact emergency services to come to the scene of the accident so that a police report will be filed.
- Maintain records and evidence from your accident and your recovery, such as medical bills, doctor’s notes, and repair bills
- Collect records from your employer about days of work you’ve missed.
- Don’t post about your crash, injuries, or recovery on social media.
- Keep a journal about your treatments, prognosis, activities, and how you are feeling.
- Go to all of your scheduled medical appointments.
- Get a free case review from an experienced Las Vegas car accident lawyer.
Your Personal Injury Attorney Is Ready To Help You!
Contact your trusted Reno car accident lawyer to take the stress off of your situation so you can focus on your recovery. Our legal team can help you by doing the following:
- Exploring and helping you understand all of your legal options
- Eliminating pressure on you by managing calls, paperwork, and details with insurance companies
- Explaining what compensation you may be entitled to as a result of your injuries
- Gathering evidence, documentation, witness statements, and expert testimony to build your case for insurance negotiations or in court, if necessary
- Reviewing your policies and exploring your policy’s compensation benefits
- Negotiating with insurance companies on your behalf for a full settlement
The state of Nevada has a two year statute of limitations on personal injury cases, but don’t wait. The sooner you contact our law office, the sooner we can begin working on your case. It’s important to gather evidence and file paperwork as soon as possible after an accident.
Contact An Experienced Car Accident Lawyer In Reno
The legal team at Benson & Bingham Accident Injury Lawyers, LLC has nearly two decades of experience working with personal injury cases in Nevada. We understand the intricacies of Nevada state law! Our firm provides personal, compassionate service in every case. Trust us with your case – call our office today to schedule your no-obligation consultation.